Connected Consumer Survey 2020: OTT communication services in Africa
- Report Description Table of Contents
"Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp have retained their leadership of the OTT communication market, but Telegram’s increasing popularity and the rise of new, local challengers suggest that the game is far from over."
This report focuses on aspects of Analysys Mason's Connected Consumer Survey that relate to the behaviour, preferences and plans of smartphone users in Africa. In particular, it focuses on respondents' usage of over-the-top (OTT) communication services.
- identifies which communications apps are used the most in Africa
- highlights the pockets of growth that remain in the OTT communication market
- identifies which features are used the most on communication apps
- discusses the ways in which consumers balance their use of OTT communications with that of traditional services
- identifies consumers’ preferred channels for communicating with brands.
Survey data coverage
The research was conducted between August and September 2020. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-internet-using population in Africa. We set quotas on age, gender and geographical spread to that effect. There were a minimum of 1000 respondents per country.
- South Africa