The Changes to the RAN ecosystem: MNOs should look beyond traditional vendors, but tread with care
- Report Description Table of Contents
"MNOs are looking beyond leading RAN vendors to reduce 5G RAN deployment costs, and are collaborating with start-ups that are developing new initiatives based on non-proprietary architecture."
RAN capex was previously anticipated to fall by 20% in the 2020s, but vendor consolidations and the need for a higher density of sites to meet mobile data traffic growth has offset the cost benefits delivered by virtualisation activities. However, mobile network operators (MNOs) can collaborate with start-ups that are working on new non-proprietary RAN architecture to drive down capex, but they must be aware of the risks.
This report provides:
- recommendations for both MNOs and start-up vendors regarding collaborations and the creation of win-win scenarios to capture new opportunities
- a discussion about the challenges that MNOs face as they plan 5G network roll-outs
- a forecast of the total mobile capex and the 4G and 5G RAN capex
- an analysis of RAN vendors’ market share by revenue
- an analysis of the barriers that MNOs face when trying to use open platforms including non-proprietary architecture
- an overview of what start-ups should do to reduce barriers and mitigate risks.