Kazakhstan - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
- Report Description Table of Contents
Mobile Broadband services continue to grow strongly in Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan is one of the most advanced telecoms sectors in Central Asia. It has an extensive 4G network. Compared to other Asian nations, Kazakhstan has low fixed line and fixed-broadband penetration, moderate mobile broadband penetration and high mobile penetration.
The fixed broadband market in Kazakhstan remains relatively underdeveloped, due to the dominance of the mobile broadband, which is in turn driven by the mobile sector. The number of fixed telephone lines in Kazakhstan is slowly declining due to the dominance of the mobile segment.
The Digital Kazakhstan program between 2017 and 2021 aims to strengthen the national digital infrastructure and drive economic growth and competitiveness. Kazakhtelecom recently completed the first stage of its multi-platform M2M/IoT network.
Moderate growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023 in the fixed broadband market as mobile broadband will continue to dominate the broadband segment.
Mobile subscriber growth was slow in Kazakhstan during 2017-8 in highly mature and saturated market. Kazakhstan has an extensive 4G network compared to a number of other Asian countries in the region. Further slow growth is also predicted over the next five years to 2023.
Kazakhstan has seen a strong increase in mobile broadband penetration over the past five years. Market penetration increased rapidly up to 2013. Since then the market stabilised and has been growing at a more moderate rate due to saturation in the mobile subscriber segment.
Moderate growth is predicted over the next five years to 2023. The mobile broadband market will be driven by increasingly faster speeds offered by the mobile operators as they roll out their 4G and 5G networks and improving tariffs due to strong competition.
- Kazakhstan’s mobile market has reached saturation point. Slow growth predicted through to 2023.
- Fixed telephone penetration continues declining as the mobile segment continues to expand.
- All major mobile operators now offer 4G LTE services. 5G services will be launched in the coming years.
- Mobile broadband is growing strongly driven by a mature mobile market.
- Beeline Kazakhstan announced successful NB-IoT tests.
- Kar-Tel to install smart gas meters in the city of Kostanay.